Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Considering Freedom

Freedom is a fickle thing. Nearly impossible to define. Absolutely impossible to grasp.
Here I sit, freshly released from the confines of the classroom and I still wonder just when summer vacation starts. As I said in my last post, I'm lost between vacation mode and exam season. The two have become so intertwined that I force myself to labor away here, tapping out thoughts from an empty brain.
So used to intense academic workouts my brain has become that I feel lost when considering that I still have 11 long weeks of bliss in front of me. Don't get me wrong, I am glad to be relieved of the somewhat claustrophobic nature of Melbourn Village College, but the allure of Hills Road is a huge distraction ahead of my longest summer break ever.
Still, the hardest part of the transition is being at loose ends. Thankfully, the doldrums disappear on Saturday, with the start of my first tennis tournament in nearly a year. What an opportune moment for shoulder tendinitis to appear. But still, I did a few exercises today and the soreness is ebbing a little. Admittedly, I also didn't pick-up a racket today, but with similar precautions over the next couple of days and I should be drugged and up and good to go come Saturday.
Anyway, after the weekend tournament, its getting ready to make haste to the bright lights and sunny nights of El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula, LA to you and me.
Its hard to believe that in less than a week, I'll be stepping out into the glorious, fume-laced scent of LA World Way before cruising down Lincoln Boulevard and into the hills of the Palisades. But hey, where better to find freedom in the "land of the free, the home of the brave?"

No comments: